Monday, March 5, 2012

Day 3

     On the ride home I saw a woman walking a large dog that was wearing a jacket. When I thought about it, it was actually really sad. Why? Well, my thoughts always somehow connect back to poverty. I don't know why, I'm just wired that way. Anyway, I thought about the people who didn't have jackets, out there freezing somehwhere. It feels like there's something jabbing into my heart when I think about this one fact:

We treat our dogs better than our people.

     Think about it. It's true isn't it? We give our dogs food, shelter, warmth, and most importantly, love.
But when I look out the car window, I see homeless people shivering beneath their thin jackets, with painfully thin bodies. I see them walk from car to car, asking for money just so they can eat. I watch with tear-filled eyes as people shake their heads. If someone saw a dog in that condition, I know for a fact that by the end of the day, that dog would be in a shelter or have a new home. Why not treat these people at least equal of a dog? Could these wealthy people, drving to a mall, planning on spending money, really not spend five dollars on this homeless person begging for money? Would they rather buy some cute shoes than save a life? Sadly, I find that this fact is true for many people, particularly Americans.
     I know that there are some very giving and selfless Americans, but that percentage is very little compared to the selfish people that contaminate this country.
     It's very easy to get caught up in American culture. Isn't it sad to think that the good people are the ones who "aren't doing anything bad"? We have come to accept that not doing anything bad is equal to being good. It's not. Being good is doing good things, not just avoiding bad things. Wouldn't it be a better world if people were appreciated for what they do instead of what they don't do?

"She doesn't smoke."
"She doesn't watch R-rated movies.."
"She doesn't drink."

I hate these phrases. They only say what you don't do, not what you do. Who actually wants to be known for what they don't do? I would much rather be known for what I do.

"She is very respectful."
"She is always helping others."
"She earns money for orphans."

These are much more important than what you don't do. I want to earn "do's" not "don'ts". I have decided to rebel against the world's low expectations. Will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment